Monday, July 1, 2024

A Request For The City Of Roanoke

 

John Prine Street Sign
in the Old Town section of Chicago, Illinois

Sometimes, when the world and national news get a little too bizarre to deal with, we all need to take a mental break and think about something fun and happy. Thus, an idea occurred to me the other day. It was an idea born in fun, but also an idea that honors one of the great songwriting legends of our time — John Prine. We need to name a street for him. I’m thinking of the section of Mountain Avenue that runs between 3rd Street and Franklin Road. The part that goes right in front of 3rd Street Coffeehouse.

John Prine has particular significance to me, and many others in our local community. Back in the early seventies, I first heard his music.  John’s first album, released in 1971, includes classics such as “Paradise”, “Angel From Montgomery”, “Sam Stone” and the immortal “Hello In There”.  Every song on that album was a songwriting masterpiece.  I was totally addicted to his music and remain so today.  John is legendary when it comes to both his ability to craft amazing lyrics and create images everyone can relate to.  

"God bless this kitchen, said the knick-knack shelf.
The dinner's almost ready, go and wash yourself.”  

Kris Kristofferson said “If God's got a favorite songwriter, I think it's John Prine.” I fully agree.

Back in January of 2019, I decided we needed to bring John to 3rd Street Coffeehouse, or at least give it our best shot. I organized an old fashioned letter writing campaign among the 3rd Street faithful. All I had to do was give them John's address at Oh Boy Records and say “write a letter telling John what his songs have meant to you, and how they’ve affected your life. Then ask him to come to 3rd Street Coffeehouse”. Everyone told me I was crazy and that it would never happen. But, they wrote letters. Their friends wrote letters. Their dogs and cats wrote letters. One day in April, I got a phone call from Eileen Tilson, John’s VP of Marketing and Promotion. She said that they’d received hundreds of letters from John’s die-hard fans in Roanoke and were coming on November 2nd. It was the best John Prine show I’ve ever seen, and I’d seen a lot of them.

John and his band showed up that night and within a few months, he was gone from COVID. But he left all of his music behind, and we still play it in open mics, song circles, front porches and anywhere else where songs are sung. His songs lift our spirits and heal our souls in troubled times. They show respect for everyone, especially the lost and the lonely. That deserves recognition. That deserves something lasting, something permanent. A street sign that says “John Prine Way” would be a fine and lasting tribute. C’mon City of Roanoke... How about it?

If you’ve come this far, you are probably a songwriter or, at the very least, a serious music lover.  Please leave a comment letting me know that you enjoyed it (or maybe not), and any similar experiences you’ve had.  You may know others who enjoy this sort of thing and, if so, I invite you to share it with them.  

If you'd like to leave a comment, but you get an error message, it's probably because you have your browser set to reject 3rd party cookies. The solution is to select "anonymous" where the window says "comment as". Just leave your name or initials if you want to let me know who you are.  Thanks for reading this!


23 comments:

  1. Great idea Bob!! John will remain in our hearts forever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. John is absolutely one of my favorite song writers and singer. We do need to honor him in Roanoke with a name street.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome idea Bob!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’m in favor of this great idea. I have been listening to John Prine for over 50 years and now I can play some of his songs myself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope it happens that we can get the sign!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic idea! DKW

    ReplyDelete
  7. He’s an American icon as a songwriter and should never be forgotten! Honor him by naming a street after him would be so awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't know about roanoke, but if they have it already done it, Chicago should name two intersecting streets ... have folks gather at the corner of Prine & Goodman ... across the square from the intersection of Sam Stone & Flag Decal. And they should have a footstep trail named for Steve, leading from Wrigley Field to Union Station

    ReplyDelete
  9. You know I’m in…Keith Rea

    ReplyDelete
  10. “Yes I Guess They Oughta Name a Street After Youuuuuuu”

    ReplyDelete
  11. John Prine is my favorite song writer and singer. I am so sorry he caught that stupid Covid. I think it is a wonderful idea to name a street after him. As a matter of fact, get another road named for him and then I could listen to an entire song by him on my trips coming and going over Windy Gap Mountain (Route 116 Franklin County). ♥️

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love all of this so much because John Prine shaped me and all of my family—my four songwriting children and my wordsmith husband. His songs have been the soundtrack of our lives. We had tickets to see him in Charlottesville but of course we tragically lost him before that could happen. I just love this story about him coming to 3rd Street as a result of your brainstorm letter-writing campaign. That’s so you and so John Prine.. What a beautiful story. Thank you for sharing it and for all you do to keep the live, heartfelt, soulful, timeless music available to us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! He actually played at the Berglund Center because it was a full band show, but Oh Boy helped us get about 40 tickets in the first 5 rows. It was totally awesome!

      Delete
  13. John Prine is special for sure and the concert at the Berglund Center was awesome, but Bob Schmucker is more special to Roanoke. So I suggest a street named Bob Schmucker Boulevard - maybe rename Mountain Ave - then Bobk Schmucker Blvd will intersect with 3rd Street.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Larry! I appreciate the thought. I'll always remember the night we seen John Prine!

      Delete

A Request For The City Of Roanoke

  John Prine Street Sign in the Old Town section of Chicago, Illinois Sometimes, when the world and national news get a little too bizarre t...